Tuesday, July 12, 2016
Ten Facts About Me
Top Ten Tuesdays are hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. Today's topic is Ten Facts About Me and they can be either bookish or not. I can't think of many bookish things about me you wouldn't already know, and since I don't talk about myself much I'm going to go with random facts about my life. And maybe a couple of book-related things to round it out.
1. Although I live in the Boston area now, I grew up in a tiny little town on the coast of Maine.
2. My father was a lobster fisherman when I was a kid, so although we didn't have a lot of money we ate lobster frequently. It took me many years to realize this wasn't the norm.
3. Like the rest of my family, I continue put jelly on top of my grilled cheese. Because it is delicious.
4. I'm afraid of German Shepherds, but more afraid of bees.
5. I've never had a manicure in my life. I've also never had a professional massage. I'm sure either would be lovely, but I just can't be bothered to make an appointment and drag myself to it.
6. A few years ago I took a helicopter flying lesson, which was pretty amazing. If you had told me ten years ago that I would do it, I would not have believed you because I hate flying. But apparently I just hate flying in planes.
7. I was vegetarian for a long time - probably 15 years or so. I've never thought that it was wrong to eat animals, but that the way we produce meat in our society is very wrong. My feelings on this topic have not changed. I also have strong feelings about animal welfare and the use of animals in research.
8. When I was in college I spent a semester in Glasgow, Scotland. I'm glad I went, but I would have gotten so much more out of it had I gone when I was older. It's only recently that I've really come to appreciate international travel. (Also, I can never donate blood again because I spent more than 3 months in the UK. Crazy.)
9. Although I'm a librarian and a voracious reader, I wasn't an English major. WHAT. I KNOW! I majored in Government (which is what my college called political science) and minored in Russian language and literature. So, that's my literature, I guess.
10. I have a written list of everything I've read since mid-2000. I don't update it every time I finish a book anymore, but I go through periodically and make sure they're all on there. After the zombie apocalypse I won't have access to my Goodreads account, so.
So there you have it! A random collection of semi-interesting factoids about me. Did anything surprise you?