Tuesday, July 19, 2016
Ten Books Set Outside of the US
Top Ten Tuesdays are hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is Ten Books Set Outside the US. Like many people, most of the books I read take place in the US but I do read a decent number of books that take place elsewhere. I get tired of reading about people just like me who live in places that are familiar - I want to experience something new! So when I hear about a book that takes place somewhere that I haven't already read a thousand books about, that piques my interest. Here's a list of ten great books that take place outside of the United States. Just for fun, I also excluded the UK (because SO MANY BOOKS) and made sure each country I did include wasn't on the list more than once. Links go to my reviews so you can read more about why I loved these books.
1. The Expatriates by Janice Y.K. Lee (Hong Kong)
2. An Untamed State by Roxane Gay (Haiti)
3. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (Australia)
4. City of Thieves by David Benioff (Russia)
5. The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton (The Netherlands)
6. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nigeria)
7. The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson (North Korea)
8. The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (Syria)
9. The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan (France)
10. Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed (Pakistan)
It was so hard to choose which books to include. I guess that means I've read a lot of really good books that take place in other countries.
What's your favorite book that takes place outside of the US? Have you read any books that are on my list?